Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Enough is as good as a feast

What then can we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? If Abraham was justified by works, then he has something to brag about – but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him for righteousness. Now to the one who works, pay is not considered as a gift, but as something owed. But to the one who does not work, but believes on Him who declares righteous the ungodly, his faith is credited for righteousness. -- Romans 4:1-5


That’s all well and good, I say, but how much faith is enough? Jesus said if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains.

Many years ago, a couple of my friends were discussing a situation where someone was gravely ill. One of them said to the other, “I want you to pray for this sick person. I’ve got Volkswagen faith. You’ve got Cadillac faith.” Perhaps today he would say Hyundai faith versus Lexus faith, but the thing is either one will get you where you want to go. I used to drive all over the country in a ’72 Chevy Nova with a straight six, three-on-the-tree, and no AC. I always made it where I wanted to go and back – not in style, but I made it.

If you have a generator, a source of power, a dynamo, all you need is the connection. You can have one of those big forked switches with a handle, a rocker switch, or a cheap little black plastic thing hanging half out of the wall. It doesn’t matter. If the juice is there and you can close the circuit, you get the job done.

On/Off. Pregnant/Not-pregnant. Do/Not-do.

If you have enough faith to worry about having enough faith, you have enough faith. You are connected to the Almighty.

Over time it is true that faith grows and develops. It matures. Yet, in a way, it is perfect and complete at any point in time. I think of my granddaughter who weighed less than five pounds when she was born, literally fitting in my two hands. Nevertheless, she was perfect. Friday, she put her arm on my shoulder and called me, “Shorty”. I am still a little taller than she is, but she’s still perfect. Her development is built into her DNA, programmed at birth to unfold like a rose. So, too, is faith. It matures and develops as any living thing, according to the plan of God. “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God” (Romans 10:17), and, in explaining the Parable of the Sower, Jesus says, “The sower sows the word” (Mark 4:14).

I receive the Word, and I have faith. I can nurture it, let it take root, and cultivate it. It will grow and become great faith, producing more seed. I never need to worry that I don’t have enough.

7 comments:

mushroom said...

I just saw this. Speaking of enough is enough:

Borrowing costs on 30-year fixed-rate mortgages, excluding fees, averaged 5.47 percent, down a whopping 0.52 percentage point from the previous week, the largest drop since 1990 when the MBA started conducting the weekly survey. Interest rates are at their lowest level since the week ended June 24, 2005, when they reached the same level.

Interest rates were below year-ago levels of 5.82 percent.


So, by all means, lower interest rates and discourage people from putting their money into bank instruments like CD's which will increase the available funds for loans and stabilize the economy. No, we should do more of what didn't work before, i.e., keep interest rates low and keep people spending money they don't have and never will have.

Wampum is starting to sound like a good investment.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yes. The mustard seed faith is one of kind and not of amount...

Our Lord was fond of re-directing obvious things.

A mustard seed has faith that it will grow into a mustard tree. It has faith that it has everything it needs to attain its purpose within Creation. It didn't sit there, straining to grow, hunting for water, or measuring itself. It put down roots where they could find nourishment and it rested within its ordered DNA.

It is a successful faith, with astoundingly reliable results: maturity and fruitfulness.

That should be enough for anyone.

:o)

mushroom said...

I have to be out tomorrow. Can't go into the details, but my daughter needs your prayers.

QP said...

You and your daughter have my prayers.

Bob's Blog said...

Thanks for this cup-half-full post. I needed it, and you and your daughter have my prayers.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Excellent post, 'Shroom!
BTW, I used to drive a '72 Chevy Malibu. I loved that car! No AC, but it had a 350 hp engine and it was the only V-8 I ever owned.
It also ran hot and I had to replace the thermostat thingy a few times.
It also had crappy gas mileage.
But man, that car could fly! And it was roomy n' comfortable.

I'll certainly keep your daughter in my prayers.

Bob's Blog said...

I am driving my second Chevy Metro. Always solidly faithful to its task.