Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Monday, May 2, 2011

What Matters

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. —- Joshua 1:8 (ESV)

This is an accidental blog. Initially, I created a blogger ID to more easily comment on One Cosmos. I subsequently created the blog in order to avoid off-topic issues and rants that I might have otherwise posted on OC; it is a relief valve of sorts. My father was dying at the time that I started it, and, even at my well-past-the-middle chronological age, I knew that his departure would require me to make changes. It provided a convenient place to shake, rattle, and roll out some of my thoughts and see if they come up snake-eyes or natural, or if I have to roll eight the hard way as is sometimes the case.

The reason that I have continued is that it gives me a good excuse to meditate on Scripture, on the Divine Nature, revelation, and life in general. I consider a post successful not so much because it generates comments from my numerically small albeit intellectually vast audience — though I always enjoy hearing what others think, but rather because I have in some way expressed God's perspective. I certainly make no claim to do that on a consistent basis. I have never been completely successful in doing so and don't expect to be. I will keep trying. Yoda was wrong. For the truly meaningful challenge, there are many tries for every do. In a sense, each try is a not-do, but not-try is the ultimate not-do.

I stand at the apex and watch the next grain of sand fall into place. Each moment of time is a new, unique part in the pattern of our lives. No matter what anyone looking in from the outside may say, we know that no two of those crystal structures are exactly alike. Each is destined to differ in shape and color, in time and place and purpose. Each will find its resting place as it forms the rising pyramid of past and present, mountainous in majesty, possessed of a peace both terrible and beautiful. Each grain will raise us higher, closer to the Source until we are able to pass through that strait, that narrow way into the upper chamber which is no chamber at all but the infinite, ever-expanding Presence.

3 comments:

robinstarfish said...

I can relate to the not-do-dah-ditty well. Accidentally, anyway.

mushroom said...

I never skipped rope as a kid. It just wasn't anything that I picked up. At forty-something, I found myself working on a contract job, stuck in a large city in an apartment with no good place to run. I didn't want to spring for a treadmill or stationary bike, knowing I wouldn't be there long. One night I happened to pass through sporting goods in a K-Mart, and I saw this cheap jump rope. That looked aerobic, so I bought it.

I spent two weeks trying to just make half a dozen jumps in a row without wrapping it around my feet or slapping myself in the back of the head. But I was away from home and had nothing else to do four nights a week. I got so good at not-doing that I finally started doing. Now I'm a regular jump-rope Jedi.

Rick said...

"The reason that I have continued is that it gives me a good excuse to meditate on Scripture, on the Divine Nature, revelation, and life in general."

For me it is like trying to do long division in my head. I don't get very far without a pencil and paper. And I have a long way to go.
Plus, the next post requires all the previous ones. There's no avoidin' it.