Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Through the Looking Glass

Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. We all, with unveiled faces, are reflecting the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit. – 2 Corinthians 3:17-18


I think Catholics have an advantage if they are willing to use it. The confessional always seemed to me to be an inspired concept. If you have a priest who knows his job on one side and a genuinely repentant sinner on the other side, you have the recipe for real deliverance and spiritual growth. How often the experience is less than that, I do not know anymore than I know how often confession is abused and misused. In theory, though, a person can unburden his soul and receive immediate feedback from the Father, via the priest, assuring him that he is a forgiven child of God and is still loved. If it devolves into empty ritual, it’s not the fault of the concept.

As a naïve believer, I read “confess your faults one to another”. Thinking this would help me to overcome temptations, I tried it out. The results were less than helpful. I do think, if I am having trouble with another believer, “confessing my faults” to that person with regard to our disagreement or conflict is beneficial and appropriate. It’s a way of letting down my guard, unilaterally disarming, so to speak, to attempt to defuse the situation (note: this only applies to verbal conflicts in a figurative sense). Otherwise, I keep my confession between my Father and me.

I know some men have accountability partners to help them deal with bad habits, usually of a sexual nature. If that works, it’s good. For me, though, I think it would simply foster an enhanced sin consciousness that would serve to keep me tied to the habit as much as succumbing to the habit itself. I believe that the key to deliverance from any temptation is Second Corinthians 3:17-18. The more we look upon the Lord, the more like Him we become. The more we expose ourselves to His Spirit through His word, prayer and meditation, the more we are transformed into His image. I don’t think of this as discipline so much as attitude.

All that we read or hear, see or experience -- with unveiled faces -- can be seen as a reflection of the glory of the Lord. Everything we encounter can be transformative. Paul did without food and shelter, was beaten, stoned, and shipwrecked. I’m sure he sought out and desired none of these obstacles, attacks, or sufferings. Yet, in the end he would “boast” of them for they had the effect of making him more Christ-like. It isn’t just doing religious stuff. Not to be vulgar, but Moses’ face glowed with the glory of God down at the latrine. Holy ____.

What usually happens is that we do something we should not do, and we become trapped in a downward, negative spiral rather than an upward, positive one. Tears and remorse don’t do a whole lot to help me get off the sin-cycle. Say I get locked into watching the marriage ceremony in Zulu repeatedly. Every time I watch those native girls, I end up saying that I’m never going to watch it again. But then the devil tells me that I’m really a horrible person for watching all that jiggling. I feel condemned. I know I am a failure. Because I feel so bad it begins to occupy my mind. It begins to seem like a really big thing. There’s pressure to avoid it. Now, instead of just hitting the skip to the next scene because you really don’t miss anything, it becomes an obsession. By making such a big deal out of it, I’ve trapped myself into saying, hey, just one more time.

If, instead of focusing on the “not”, I focus on the “I AM”, I soon see the lure of sin for what it is, something external to the real me. Yes, maybe it is tangled up in the old man, but the old man is dead. Paul expounded on this at length in three consecutive chapters of the Book of Romans. Chapter Seven in particular looks at how trying not to think about Zulu babes means thinking about nothing but Zulu babes. Once, however, we have an understanding of who is actually doing the sinning, the temptation itself becomes a flag showing us the line beyond which the non-true self lies. I am delivered – not by the strength of my own will – but by realizing who I am.

4 comments:

mushroom said...

Just in case there's some pervert out there who has never seen the magnificent movie Zulu or never seen it unedited for TV and doesn't realize my reference to the Zulu babes is tongue-in-cheek, please do not rush out and buy the DVD for that reason. It is purely National Geographic-type stuff and provides no special thrill to anyone over the mental age of twelve. (Olberman, Matthews, Maddow, and Rosie O'Donut probably have that scene playing in a continuous loop on their computers.)

The reason it came to mind is that, though I did not get to see Zulu in the theater -- I was a little too young -- I did see the trailer for it on the big screen in living color while there for another movie. As I recall, I somehow got the idea from the trailer and was fascinated by it. I don't remember what year that was, but Michael Caine was barely old enough to shave, so I don't think I could have been more than ten.

Mizz E said...

FWIW, Cowboy and I watch Zulu about every two years; yes, we love it and it's B&W, not living color, although I can understand the boyhood recollection. Imagine my dismay when I got around to seeing Rebel Without a Cause for the 2nd time and it was in color. I saw it originally in B&W. Everybody says "NO WAY", so I researched it. Do you know they filmed it originally in B&W and then RESHOT the WHOLE film in color - weird. Much ado about nothing.

Great post.

mushroom said...

You're kidding. I have a DVD of it on my desk that's in color. I guess they could have colorized it. You're probably right about my memory.

Rick said...

Mizze’s right. Great post.
Thanks, Mushroom.

You’re right about the spiral. And it is I think a big part of the reason He came. He loved us so much He couldn’t stand to see us suffer anymore like that. He will take it all away. It was the only chance we wouldn’t allow ourselves to take. So He did.