Perhaps it may turn out a sang,
Perhaps turn out a sermon.

-- R. Burns Epistle to a Young Friend

Thursday, February 12, 2009

This Must Be For You

Anyone who has an ear to hear should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. -- Revelation 3:22


This ends the section of the book of Revelation where the Lord gives specific messages to each of the seven churches of Asia Minor. If you attend to experts discussing this section, some will say that the various churches are types – some churches are like Philadelphia, or Smyrna, and others are like Ephesus or Laodicea. Other students of the Bible will tell you that these represent stages or ages that the Church will go through leading up to the end times. Futurists and pre-millennialists tend to think that way.

I don’t know about all that, but I don’t think it matters so much. I think this verse could be the key to the whole book of Revelation, if not the Bible. What does it say? Anyone who is capable of hearing should, not must, but should listen. Listen to what? What difference does it make to me what the Lord said to some ancient, long-dead Christians in Thyatira or Sardis? I’m not where they were, and they were not dealing with my problems.

What God says, He does not say solely to one group of people in one period at one place. His word transcends culture, language, space, and time. I’m all for using the available tools to study Scripture, for good hermeneutics, and, at least to some extent, interpreting in the light of tradition and context. All that is fine, but first and foremost, God is speaking to me where I am, in whatever mess I’m in. One of the ways in which He speaks is by His written word, and, if I will listen, He will speak in an immediate way that is exactly what I need to hear right now.

This isn’t about pulling texts out to prove some point or reinforce my inclinations, or any kind of bibliomancy. This is about reading the word of God with my ears open, reading with the understanding that somehow, in some way completely incomprehensible to me, God ordained that I should open this book and read these words, and that He really wants to speak to me and have me understand. He brings me to this point with all the – don’t think of it as baggage any more – gear, tools, and equipment I need to hear Him. What the Spirit says (not said, He’s still talking) to the churches I am equipped to make real. The stuff I’ve been through along the way has outfitted me to see this passage and see it come alive in my life.

The Bible, any holy book, but especially the Bible, is dangerous. It really is like a sword. A fool with a weapon can do a lot of damage, whereas someone who knows how to use a weapon can deploy it intelligently for self-defense and good. The Bible is loaded, and it can be lethal. People, even some with the best of intentions, have hacked the Bible, perverted the words and gone counter to the intent of the Author. We can't let that scare us. If we are willing to listen to what the Spirit says to the churches, or to disciples, patriarchs, kings, judges, shepherds, or cities, we will hear Him speaking to us.

Come, let us return to the LORD. For He has torn us, and He will heal us; He has wounded us, and He will bind up our wounds. He will revive us after two days, and on the third day He will raise us up so we can live in His presence. Let us strive to know the Lord. His appearance is as sure as the dawn. He will come to us like the rain, like the spring showers that water the land. (Hosea 6:1-3)

4 comments:

Rick said...

Great post, Mushroom. Amazing. I was reading just last night in Arnot’s “Parables..” on the “Good Samaritan”. Arnot makes a point (beautifully as well) how Jesus’ conversation, “His precious words” which most often were between just him and another person (friend or foe) became the “heritage of the Church”.

“Thus the words frequently took its form from the character and conduct of those with whom he conversed. On their ignorance, or simplicity, or malice, his wisdom and goodness were cast for keeping till the end of time. [These people, their] temper, conceptions, tricks [were] like sand in a foundry, constituted the mould in which the pure gold of our Redeemer’s instructions was poured; and like sand, when they had served that purpose, they were allowed to fall asunder, as being of no further use.”

“On the almost pictured page of the evangelic history, you may often observe two persons…engaged in close and earnest conversation. In most cases you discover, when you approach, that one of them is the Lord Jesus, and the other one of the lost whom he came to save.”

“This Must Be For You”, indeed.

mushroom said...

Wow. That is so true. Thanks, Rick.

mushroom said...

The sandcasting made me think of another analogy. I was hooking some new equipment up the other day, and I saw a female connector with a pattern I'd never seen before. It was pretty easy to figure out where the male was supposed to go.

Each of us needs to connect up to the Lord. Scripture is kind of like a universal adapter. It fits itself into the holes in my heart and locks down. Then the Word of God comes through.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Hi Mushroom,
Great post! And excellent comments too!

Speakin' of the all purpose adapter, where the key always fits, it's amazing how often we can open that door, or doors, only to find a new (gnu) treasure every time.